I have been very busy with The Ghastlies Blog Hop that I am a part of starting October 24, 2011. Please come back and visit my site on October 24th to see what I have done with all my GHASTLIE fabric!  I will be having a give away prize for everyone who follows me on facebook and leaves a comment! But I have also finished a few projects, which I wanted to show you here.Following is a tote that I showed a young woman how to make.  It was the first time she has ever been at a sewing machine and the first time using an iron.  She came over to my house on two separate nights and I showed her how to cut out the materials, free motion quilt the material and batting and assemble the bag.  She did a very nice job for the very first time at a sewing machine.  I would rate this tote as a medium sewing project.  I also introduced her to Aurifil threads for piecing everything together.  It is a nice strong thread that has no bulk to it.

Alexa’s Tote

The next project was inspired from a drawing my son did of Marty McFly and Doc Brown from the movie Back to the Future.  I used materials from my stash to create this little mug rug. I think that it would have turned out better if I had enlarged the picture and used better quality fabrics, especially the fabric that I used for the skin portions.  This fabric was from the stash table at a retreat and I thought it would work well, but it just didn’t want to behave in such small portions.  It works well as a Mug Rug though and I learned a valuable lesson about fabric.

Marty McFly and Doc Brown from Back to the Future.. Inspired from a drawing my son did.

The following is a Mug Rug I did, that I couldn’t resist doing.  I had the fabrics and it was a nice cool blustery fall day when I created this one.  It is a simple raw edge applique.

Fall Mug Rug

This is a Mug Rug I did because I really wanted to thread sketch the cat.  I think it turned out pretty good except for the background fabric.  Again I used only what was in my stash and I wish I would have had a solid or light color background I could have used.  The bat in the moon turned out pretty cool and it was pretty easy, and the Happy Halloween in the upper left corner was done with 30wt Signature thread.  This was a new variegated thread I bought and really wanted to try it out.  I really liked the way the thread behaved for me, but again it doesn’t show up on this background very good.  It is also used in the stem of the pumpkin.

Happy Halloween Mug Rug

love it, share it!

pinterest google

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.