Baltimore Halloween

Baltimore Halloween 12 Month Quilt

Here is the completed Baltimore Halloween Block of the Month. I chose a green binding that matched some the green in the applique and I really like the color.  I wasn’t sure which color binding I would use, but I just keep pulling bolts of color out until I finally settled on the green and I’m really happy that I did. It also took me a while to figure out how I was going to quilt this, and after drawing up some patterns that I thought I would use.. I finally just sat down at the machine and started a circle or pebble pattern around each block and I think it frames them nicely..

In the borders I continued the circle pattern, but this time they are smaller circles within bigger circles.  Both borders have the same quilting pattern, just different color threads.  I also used the same color thread in the bobbin throughout so that the back of my quilt was consistent with thread color.  In the center block, I quilted around the shapes in the middle because it is such a big area that was left not quilted and it really makes the shapes pop out of the block.  I used invisible thread to go around these shapes with the bobbin thread being the same color I used through the quilting process. I finished it off with a sleeve on the back so I could use it as a wall hanging in the future.  The finished size of this quilt is about 60″ x 60″ square.

I started this in October of 2009 because I needed something to sew and didn’t know what to do, saw this in Keepsake Quilting and decided this was for me.  A year and a half later, here it is. I did not hand appliqué this as the directions say to do.  I used a light fusible and then did some satin stitching around all the pieces to keep them in place.  I love halloween and I’m glad this was a block of the month or I may have pulled my hair out. As I did more blocks I found that I didn’t like doing the acorns, or the candy corns, so in some of the later blocks, they are not included.  The middle block was the last block and instead of candy, I added more leaves, which appeals to me more than the candy.  This last block took me at least 8 hours to complete.  A few of the smaller blocks took me 6 – 8 hours to complete, but most blocks I could get done in a 2 -4 hour time span. My plan is to back this and quilt it myself on my machine to show in an upcoming March Quilt show.

love it, share it!

pinterest google

Tags: , , ,

1 comment

Trackbacks and pingbacks

  1. Baltimore Quilt Complete | Canary Created
    [...] night.  I didn’t take one of her classes, but I did pick up one of her patterns.  I have…

Leave a Reply

X