Final Baltimore quilt finished

The Mary Werner-Stone Baltimore Quilt that have I have been working on is finally totally complete.  I became stuck on what to quilt in the border, but when I was browsing some of Karen Machetti’s (Creative Longarm Quilter).. I saw a bamboo pattern she made in an Asian quilt for a customer and love it.  I also have bamboo hard wood floors throughout my house, so I had great inspiration and reference! I machine quilted this on my Janome Horizon machine.. I probably have at least 10 hours in the machine quilting over the course of a few weeks.  The machine quilting was probably the most fun I had on this quilt, trying to come up with a pattern for each individual block was very challenging. I used Aurifil 50wt thread for all the piecing and Madera 40wt thread for the quilting.

I have been spending the last week quilting the Baltimore top I recently finished.  Each block is different enough that I didn’t feel that I could do one type of quilting motif throughout, so each block got it’s own quilt motif.  The Motif was basically planned around the design of the block and I didn’t do much planning other that to look the block and either outline it, or mimic some type of design element in the block.Although on the flower block I did get inspiration from a Machine Quilting magazine picture. I am not sure how I am going to quilt the border, and I still have to give the quilt a name!

Generally, I am happy with my work.  I definitely got to practice my blanket stitch, especially around a lot of curves.  I used a satin stitch on some of the circles and a modified satin stitch on a few of the circles in the flowers. The only modification I made to this pattern is the heart block with the heart inside of it.. The pattern had a hand with a heart, and I didn’t like the hand, and I had a heart shape left from the heart block on the left side of the quilt and decided it looked good here.

One of the things I was very pleased with was how flat my applique turned out.  I have had problems in the past with my applique bunching up my background fabric and distorting my block.  I used the sheets from the fusible web and coffee filters as stabilizer on the back of the blocks as I did my applique and although it took a few hours to remove it from all the blocks, I feel it is the prime reason my applique’d blocks turned out flat and still intact.

The outer blocks were all cut at 14″ and the center block was 28 1/2″ and the borders are 6 1/2″.. The over all quilt is 69″ x 69″. I have only done one other quilt with sashing and did not like the result, but the way she had me put the sashing together here was very easy.    The sashing is attached between the blocks and then the bottom row and top row have the long sashing attached to them, the top and bottom rows are then applied to the center section.  There are not seams to actually match in the sashing, but I tried to make sure my grid still looked good. For the piecing part, I used Aurifil thread which is nice and flat when ironed, and for the applique I used Madera Rayon 40wt thread.  This is the first time I have used Madera and it behaved beautifully in the Janome Horizon.  I usually use Sulky for my decorative stitching, but I won these threads at a retreat and I really liked how they behaved and how they look in my quilt.

The design is by Mary Werner-Stone, and I picked it up at a guild meeting that she was the speaker for the night.  I didn’t take one of her classes, but I did pick up one of her patterns.  I have a Baltimore Halloween quilt that I have hanging in my hallway and I wanted to replace it with another baltimore quilt that wasn’t season specific! I chose some warm background colors to go with the focal color of “purple/red”, and the picture shows the center block, 28″ x 28″, with the focal fabric.

The fusible on the purple fabric is Wonder Under, which is the first time I have used this type of fusible, and on the other colors in the quilt I have used Steam a Seam sheets.  The nice thing about the sheets is that they have a protective sheet that is taken off before applying to the fabric and then you can use it as a tear away stabilizer when doing the applique.  I found this to be a very nice stabilizer and it did tear away pretty easy as you can see in my picture.


love it, share it!

pinterest google

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.