Blog for Canary
Stay up to date with everything Canary is doing
MUG RUG SWAP 2011. These are my mug rug’s that I made for the Quilting Gallery’s mug rug swap I joined in January 2011. My swap partner indicated that she liked Country Americana colors and I researched the decor and colors and designed these two mug rugs to send to her. These took me about 3 – 4 hours to put together and I bought some fat quarters to achieve the look of Country Americana. I didn’t have any solid colors in my stash. I love the trees on these mug rugs. In most of the decor they showed these types of trees and they were a lot of fun to create with thread and I will probably incorporate them into future projects. Hope my partner enjoys her mug rugs!
UPDATE: 2/9/2011.. I heard from Mary whom I sent the mug rug’s too and she loved them! Thanks Mary!love it, share it!facebook twitter pinterest google
Here is the completed Baltimore Halloween Block of the Month. I chose a green binding that matched some the green in the applique and I really like the color. I wasn’t sure which color binding I would use, but I just keep pulling bolts of color out until I finally settled on the green and I’m really happy that I did. It also took me a while to figure out how I was going to quilt this, and after drawing up some patterns that I thought I would use.. I finally just sat down at the machine and started a circle or pebble pattern around each block and I think it frames them nicely..
In the borders I continued the circle pattern, but this time they are smaller circles within bigger circles. Both borders have the same quilting pattern, just different color threads. I also used the same color thread in the bobbin throughout so that the back of my quilt was consistent with thread color. In the center block, I quilted around the shapes in the middle because it is such a big area that was left not quilted and it really makes the shapes pop out of the block. I used invisible thread to go around these shapes with the bobbin thread being the same color I used through the quilting process. I finished it off with a sleeve on the back so I could use it as a wall hanging in the future. The finished size of this quilt is about 60″ x 60″ square.
I started this in October of 2009 because I needed something to sew and didn’t know what to do, saw this in Keepsake Quilting and decided this was for me. A year and a half later, here it is. I did not hand appliqué this as the directions say to do. I used a light fusible and then did some satin stitching around all the pieces to keep them in place. I love halloween and I’m glad this was a block of the month or I may have pulled my hair out. Read the rest here -→
This is my first paper pieced project. Dan Burke of Quilting by the River taught a class at a retreat and this was a tree skirt pattern of his that he taught. I fell in love with just the star pattern that I did not fill in between the points to make it a circle and kept it just a star shape. I used the pillowcase method to finish it. I backed it with a cotton fabric, and used a flannel fabric in the middle so that I could turn the points out. Batting would have been too bulky and stiff to use to pull the points out so that they look nice. Quilting this was challenging also, because I had to quilt it once it was all put together and pulling the points through the machine took a little bit of time, but I tackled it and it came out pretty cool.love it, share it!facebook twitter pinterest google
This was a fun litte quilt that I recently did. It is a scene from the first Back to the Future movie when The Libyan’s find Doc Brown in the beginning of the movie. My kids love this movie and my daughter had found a piece of art by Scott C, and she showed me the pic and I replicated it with fabric and thread. This little piece is only about 5″ x 7″, and took a few hours to construct. My son has also drawn some Back to the Future drawings that I would like to do also, so stay tuned!love it, share it!facebook twitter pinterest google
Art Quilt”][/caption] Last October when I was in Jason’s office, his co-worker, Amy, had a calendar hanging on her wall and the picture really intrigued me and I thought I could turn that into an art quilt. At the end of the year she gave Jason the calendar to give to me and today I made one of the pictures into an art quilt. Read the rest here -→